How to select your event registration software?
Registration is an important element when organising events. There are many suppliers that automate (parts of) the registration process. However, you as an organiser want to remain in control, while keeping the overview & insight. How to select the best partner for your organisation?
- Control: Manage your event and content yourself.
- Insight: Know exactly who’s coming - and who is not.
- Overview: 1 Registration system instead of different programs.
What type of partner do you need?
If you are looking to automate or get support for (part of) the registration process, you roughly have two possibilities: external partners of (own) software. The different registration systems can be divided into a different categories, each with their own specialty:
- Event registration partners
- On-site registration partners
Own registration software:
- Event ticket software
- Event registration form
- Event Management Software
For each category, we made you a list of selection points that can help you in your selection process.
Event registration partners
An (external) registration partner takes over the complete registration process: the invitation, registration page, registrations & cancellations and (in some cases) the on-site registration of your visitor. Registration partners use their own software - you as an event organiser do not have access to this.
- (+) The registration process takes up significantly less time.
- (+) The registration process is in the hands of experienced professionals.
- (-) The costs per event are high, making this option less suitable for smaller events.
- (-) You as an organiser do not have direct insight in the registration status of your invitees.*
- (-) You are dependent on the planning of your supplier, leaving you with less control over the event.*
- (-) Because registration software is not linked to your company’s CRM, you have to import and export your data manually. This makes the process more time consuming and prone to errors. *
Suppliers: Event Assist, Halito, Momice (Agency), Aanmelder, Invitado, Eventler
On-site registration partners
On-site registration partners focus on checking in visitors on the day of the event. Using scanners and printers, they check in large amounts of visitors - and provide them with name badges in case needed.
- (+) It is possible to check in large amounts of visitors in a short time.
- (-) You have to pay for both equipment and the crew. This makes this option (too) expensive for smaller events.
- (-) The software is not linked to your database (and registration overview) so you don’t have real time insight in who is present at the event. In most cases - a manual export can be made.
Suppliers: Summit, N200, Eventpartners
Event ticket software
Event ticket software allows you to sell tickets for your events.
- (+) Easy and cheap solution for paid events with a straightforward registration process.
- (+) The (external) ticket page can be easily embedded in your own event website.
- (-) Not all ticket software is white label (it cannot be aligned with the style of your event). Houd hiermee rekening bij het kiezen.*
- (-) Separate ticket software is often not connected to your registration software or mailing software. Look for options that provide the integration.*
Suppliers: Momice, YourTicketProvider, Paydro, Eventbrite
Event registration forms (and survey tools)
Some event professionals decide to create their registration form with online (stand-alone) tools like Google Forms. The event evaluation or survey is often created with separate tools as well.
- (+) Quickly created and easily embedded in an (event) website.
- (-) The software was not always specifically designed for registration or event purposes - and therefore has its limitations.
- (-) The tools are often not white label, so the forms do not match the communication of the other event communication.*
- (-) Stand-alone tools for forms are not linked to invitee or attendance lists, making it harder to select the right people for a (reminder) mailing. *
Suppliers: Momice, Google Forms, Typeform, Eventbrite
Event Management Software (EMS)
Event registration software is important. However, for flawless registration, you need more than software alone. The probability that your invitee registers for an event, depends on the quality of your overall event communication.
Event Management Software connects all aspects of event communication (Registration, Mailings, Event Website, Survey and Statistics). EMS helps you to work more efficiently - and prevents you from using multiple systems at a time. In other words - choosing wisely means 1+1=3!
- (+) 1 Registration system for all your event communication (Registration, Email, Event Website, Survey).
- (+) 1 Database for all your contacts.
- (+) Direct insight in event statistics and results.
- (+) Opportunity to manage everything yourself.
- (-) In case of complex registration processes, you are dependent on the flexibility and user friendliness of the software.*
- (-) Because SaaS** suppliers mostly offer standardised software, it can be difficult to find a good SaaS solution to very complex registration processes. Check with your supplier how they approach complex events.*
Suppliers: Momice, Cvent, E-touches, Azavista
**Event Management Software is often offered in the form of an online license - also referred to as SaaS (Software as a Service). As an event organiser, you can manage the entire event communication process yourself - without having to buy and install the software.
Remember not only to look into the functional requirements, but find out whether your supplier is GDPR compliant, too. Do they treat your data carefully? And what does their security policy look like?
Conclusion: delve into your suppliers
Suppliers of registration software can be divided into 5 categories. Before you select your supplier, first determine your requirements. Do you want to hand over the complete registration process - or stay involved and keep control and overview? And do you prefer to work with just one partner - or involve multiple players in the process? Investigate what suppliers have to offer, and find out what type of partner suits your organisation best.
*For the (-) points marked with a *, Momice offers a solution.
Recently we have published 'The ultimate guide to event registration', in which you will find all the advantages and disadvantages of the event registration systems even clearer.